Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Update on my garden.

Our garden is growing like crazy, and it is so much fun and overwhelming at the same time. One of the hardest parts this year is the hundreds, yes I said hundreds, of grasshoppers that have decided that they really like my garden and flower beds. I have read a little bit about how to get rid of them and it seems that unless you have live chickens or fowl most likely they won't go away. The picture with the pink flower is really not suppose to be artistic but to show the ugly little buggers up close. Whenever we walk by the garden or flower beds it is like they can move because the grasshoppers start jumping all over. It is quite disgusting. Next post I will show the contraption Josh built for capturing them, it is humorous. Okay the varments have done damage on a couple of tomato plants and a few pepper plants, but the fruit seems to still be in contact. Cross your fingers that it stays that way. Now onto the positive. The cucs and zucchini are wonderful and I cannot wait to try the spaghetti squash. I really think I could feed the entire lane with squash this year. We already have about 14 good sized squash. I am looking forward to the tomatos and canning salsa. Today I picked quite a few jalepeno peppers. Kennedy said this morning "Our garden is really fun". I think she was referring to eating what has grown but it could be because they like to catch those horrible grasshoppers.

5 comments:

The Holmgrens said...

Your garden looks awesome! I'm way excited about mine too. I'm going to do salsa too, do you have a good recipe? This is my first time. We went to the Twin Falls temple too. We also went to the falls. I have a picture on my blog of my kids just like yours. That's funny.

Cheri said...

It looks great Ashlee! I'm already salivating thinking about making zuccini bread this fall. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to cooler weather. We are getting pretty excited about Yellowstone here at our place. And at some point in the next few months Brett and I might have to make a weekend trip and see you guys, my hair is going to be needing a cut, it's growing like mad! Everytime I think about making an appointment with some unknown I chicken out. I don't want to risk a bad cut.

Heather B. said...

So glad to see your post and that I could actually view your blog - see what you were up to!!! I swear we have the same grasshopper problem and it is making me crazy. My garden just doesn't look like it usually does because of those stupid buggars. Oh well! HSM starts August 29th and I'm playing Gabriella. I'll be a DARK brunette starting next weekend. I'm a little freaked.

Erin said...

Your garden is amazing. Mine always grows out of control, but yours beats mine. I hope all is well. We miss you guys! We need to come visit or let us know when you come down again.

The Mashy Family said...

Hey I just wanted to say Hi! I hope you don't mind! Cute family!