Sunday, February 24, 2008

Salmon YUM-YUM!




Some may not think that cooking salmon, or any other fish for that matter, is a big deal, but if you knew me even 4 yrs ago you would know that it is a HUGE deal! I grew up hating all fish, except shrimp but that really isn't fish. I don't really know why I didn't like it, maybe it was the silver crap found in the school lunch fish sticks, or maybe it was the trout that Dallas Taylor brought to us in which the head of the fish ended up in someone's shirt, YIPES!! Maybe it could be how ugly I think fish eyes are, well I don't know, but the last few years I have broadened my horizons and came out of my fish-hating shell, if you will, thanks to my father-in-law Dave and Josh. In addition to that I swore that I would have no regrets with the places I have lived. Since we lived in Washington for awhile I decided I needed to try fish because it would probably be some of the freshest fish I had ever had a chance to sample. I was and have been pleasantly surprised with most ventures containing fish or underwater life, although I would not recommend fried calamari, the breaded tentacles are a little much going down. Okay, Okay, so back to my dinner. I picked up a nice sized fillet of Steelhead salmon at Costco. I decided to combine a couple of recipes. Leanne made an awesome salmon dish up in Vancouver and then I had read that dill is a great compliment to this red type of fish. So I ended up with a melted butter concotion with dill, fresh lemon juice and Johnny's garlic spread seasoning. Drizzle that over the raw salmon and then top it with slices of lemon and bake at 200 degrees for about an hour. Man did it have great flavor! Pair a piece of that with the toasted almond lemon rice pilaf and some steamed veggies and my oh my, what a feast. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised and would call this first venture of Salmon a SUCCESS. So Emeril, "kick that up a notch"!! So Dave what do you think?

5 comments:

Dave said...

BAM, BAM !!
You have come a long way and I only wish I could be there to sample your creation. It looks simply marvelous.
I can't help but laugh about the name of the dish, seems we made lots of jokes about that one.
I am truly impressed Ashlee, and it makes me excited to start cooking again.

Richards Family said...

Hey it looks way good! We love salmaon. It is our favorite for Sunday dinners! Do your kids eat fish good? Emmy loves it she thinks it is ham! Well whatever works right. Job well done!!
luv your gutts!

Cheri said...

Good for you for trying new things. I always think fishlooks so yummy, and then I sniff ro taste it and I want to gag. Yuck! I really do wish I liked it since it's so good for you, but Brett and I will always be hard to please when it comes to fish I suppose.

The Holmgrens said...

Well, I love fish, and I think the fish you made looks very yummy! Recipe please? I have know you for quite awhile and I think you are a very good cook. Remember when you made chicken nuggets from scratch for my family in high school. My dad and I thought it was so good. E-mail your number or call me at Justin's parents #. I would love to get together. Love, Nat

The Ross Family said...

I have never really found a great recipe for Salmon so I will have to get that from you. It looks great! We need to get together soon!